Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Community meeting June 2021

June 10, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm

This community meeting hosted by the Tenants & Residents Association (TRA) committee aims to celebrate the community which already exists on Kings Crescent and look for ways to develop this further.

It’s a chance for residents to discuss what events and activities we want to have here, meet your neighbours etc.

Let us know if you have any ideas!

This meeting will be held online via Zoom

Please email KingsCrescentN4@gmail.com to be sent the Zoom link to access the meeting



Chair of meeting: Emley Pine (KCTRA)

Residents of Kings Crescent Estate present: 6

In attendance:                From:

Nina Love Hackney Showroom
John Morris Source Partnership
Cllr Clare Potter Brownswood Ward Councillor

Apologies recieved from 6 residents


  Agenda Item Action
1 Welcome and Introductions

·        Clare proposes to approve the minutes from March 2021, Emley seconds.

2 Residents Group (TRA) Committee Updates by Emley

·        Upcoming Annual General Meeting (AGM) – Next community meeting is in September, a few members are stepping down so if anyone is interested to join the committee, please come forward. The position of secretary will be vacant but if anyone is interested to any other named roles (being Chair, Vice-Chair and Treasurer) all current members holding these positions are happy to change role. It would be good to have a hand-over so if anyone wants to join the committee please do come forward soon so that we can start this process. Please contact the committee if you are interested or want to ask any questions about the role (KingsCrescentN4@gmail.com)

·        The next “in-person” meetings are likely to still have a Zoom option and perhaps a film being played in the second room of Unit C with a volunteer to look after children for residents who would like to attend the meetings but cannot due to child care responsibilities.

·        Work has started at Unit C!

·        Homework club is restarting in the Vince Murrain Community Centre. Once Unit C is ready, it will move there. The TRA still has budget from the original grant (for running it last year but it was cancelled due to Covid restrictions) so this can be used this to run the club until December. If the club is popular the TRA will apply for further grants to continue the homework club next year.

·        The TRA has now taken control of the allotments located in the middle courtyard. All plot holders have been written to to inform them of the change of management. Hackney has commissioned the construction of eight new plots which are now built. Unattended plots will also be reallocated and so in total about 11 plots will be given to people on the waiting list.  Four plots will be retained as communal plots for kids (and adults) to plant seeds during gardening events and for a planting a communal herb garden.

·        On 20 June there will be a seeds swap gardening event. The TRA is hoping to instigate a monthly gardening event for every gardener on the estate, not just allotment holders. All information will be on the website.

·        The Black Live Matters film project ran by a resident and partly funded by the TRA has started, the trailer will be shared once ready.

·        An art event for kids should happen in October half term. Gustavo, an artist from Lisbon will be coming to deliver this with Andrew. Further funding is being applied for to add to the money already allocated from the 20/21 ‘community development fund’.

·        Update on Hackney Resident Participation Team – The team is still in the process of restructure and are recruiting for the new positions. Siovhan has now left the team and Emma Harrison is  back from maternity leave. To contact their team email: Get.Involved@hackney.gov.uk

3 Hackney Showroom Update by Nina
  ·        Work started at Unit C on 8 June and is going fast. The contractor is very friendly and professional. Work should take 4 to 6 weeks. There will be drilling works but the contractor is aware that residents from that particular building may be sensitive because they have had issues before. Nina will try to let the TRA and Clissold Quarter Facebook group know when that work is planned so residents are aware.

·        HS has started a newsletter for Kings Crescent and the wider community and invites the TRA to let them know if they want to advertise any events through that channel.

·        There will be a Street Party on 14 August with live bands and DJs, soft play outside, food stalls, a bar. HS is looking for volunteers on the day but also in the days leading to the event for making decorations: anyone with a sewing machine or just willing to do some craft is welcomed to help. HS is also looking for volunteers to come for one hour in the morning for the party to help with putting the decorations up. HS is also looking for volunteers to slow down the traffic on the day, the job would be to stand with a hi-vis and invite motorists to go around the estate or to help them cross the Play Street  safely.

·        Nina invites the TRA to have a stall on the street during the Street Party to advertise themselves and recruit new committee members.

·        There will be a free Disco Loco children’s library run by a volunteer from the estate. Weekly lending book event but also activities relating to literature, this will be officially launched during the Street Party.

·        A week of activity for 8- to 11-year-olds will be happening during the summer holidays. Funding is being requested to extend the project to two weeks. Different artists will be entertaining the children and activities such as den-building and canoeing will be taking place.

·        In the Autumn will start a weekly lunch club for over 50s on Fridays. HS is recruiting volunteers to help for this lunch club and to join a befriending scheme.

·        In September there will be a community meal happening to replace the one that got cancelled last year due to the Covid restrictions: ‘Kings Feast’ with activities such as quiz, bingo, live acts etc. HS hopes to repeat the event in December and March.

·        HS is currently raising money to have a youth street worker to get to know the local kids and find out what activities and events they would want to have running here.

·        HS has got funding to run 2 sets of activities for teenagers’, with a view to getting more funding to extend this project.

·        The young actor’s programme will re-start in autumn.

·        HS has also got funding for pre-school Disco Loco on Friday mornings, there will be soft play and a disco. One session for under 1’s and another for 1-5 year olds.

Nina to let the TRA and Clissold Quarter Facebook group know when the drilling work is planned.


4 Open Conversation
  Ideas discussed:  A leaflet could be done for advertising the TRA during the Street Party, tote bag with the Kings Crescent Estate picture designed by the lady who designed our logo could also be distributed. Jill will ask her daughter if she can arrange this and will come back with prices for different options.

Menekse will ask the Turkish community if there is anything they would like to see happening during this Street Party and will let Emley know.

HS will soon have a Turkish speaking person who can take call and answer emails in Turkish!

Jill to share prices and options from her daughter in regard to KCE branded stuff to hand-out during Street Party.

Menekse to share with the TRA if the Turkish community would like to see anything in particular during Street Party

5 Source Partnership Update by John Morris
  Two meetings with contractors tendering for the next phase of the regeneration have taken place. The contractors’ social value team met with Emley and Hackney Showroom who explained to them what we are doing here so that they can come up with a good community plan to submit with their tender. Both contractors are very willing and have lots of good ideas. One contractor should be chosen by the end of the summer but the choice needs to go through internal approval so the contract should be signed in November with works starting in March 2022.

SP is going back to the Vince Murrain Centre on Mondays 1-3pm from 21 June and on Wednesdays 4-6pm  until 26 July during a slightly staggered period. A newsletter is going out next week with the details.

6 Any other business

Jill will be doing a charity sky-dive for Mind in August/September and ask if she can share her giving page on the facebook page. Emley agrees. Some of the money will go to Mind Hackney.

Nina mentions that next year HS would like to hold a KC conference for local artists, businesses etc. to discuss dreams and vision for the community. They hope to run this activity every year.

Clare chairs the Finsbury Park Trust who is also running a conference about bringing the Finsbury Park community together. KC may want to engage with this kind of conference. Claire will let the TRA know once more details are available.

Emley is attending an event next week organised by Hackney CVS (#FairerHackney) on emotional health:  https://crm.hcvs.org.uk/civicrm/event/info

Dates of next meetings & close

20 June – Gardening Event 11.30am-1.30pm

30 June @ 7pm – Service Charge Meeting (Zoom)

14 July @7pm – ETRA Meeting with Hackney Representatives (Zoom)

14 August – Disco Loco Street Party 12-6pm

11 September – Kings Crescent Feast (indoor)

15 September – TRA Community Meeting and AGM (committee will be elected)

All details of meetings and events can be found here: https://kingscrescent.org/events-and-meetings/


Additional information:

  • Please note that the next meeting for discussing estate related issues with Hackney is in July 2021.
  • See https://kingscrescent.org/ for details of upcoming events and minutes of previous meetings.
  • To get in touch with the committee: Email KingsCrescentN4@gmail.com call/text/WhatsApp 07925668497 Social Media: @KingsCrescentN4

Previous information:


  • Updates from the TRA committee
  • Updates from Hackney Showroom, Source Partnership and Hackney’s Resident Participation Team
  • An opportunity to share your opinion and ideas

Please note these community focused meetings take place in March, June, September and December each year.

There are separate meetings to discuss estate related issues (with Hackney representatives attending) in January, April, July, October.



  Agenda Item Suggested


1 Welcome and Introductions

·        Approve minutes from March 2021

5 mins Emley
2 Residents Group (TRA) Committee Updates

·        Upcoming AGM

·        Planed events & activities

·        Update on Hackney Resident Participation Team

15 mins Emley
3 Hackney Showroom Update 15 mins H.S
  ·        Progress on building work to transform the space

·        Planned events and activities

4 Open Conversation 40 mins Residents
  Opportunity for residents to share ideas and suggestions for community building activities and events on Kings Crescent.
5 Source Partnership Update 5 mins S.P
  Recent activity and latest plans for phases 3&4 of KC development
6 Any other business

Dates of next meetings & close

10 mins Emley
Please follow and like us:


June 10, 2021
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Event Category:
Event Tags:
, , , , , , , ,




KC TRA Committee
View Organiser Website