[updated 28 March 2020 5.30pm]
Here are some links to current advice on Coronavirus, self-isolation and some resources available to help us all stay connected, supported, healthy and sane during this time!
Please always refer to the latest public health advice: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
To see the latest government advice: https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response
Hackney advice webpage: https://hackney.gov.uk/coronavirus-council-homes-estates
If you have concerns about your work, how to pay your rent, bills etc see here for links to current governement information: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-support-for-employees-benefit-claimants-and-businesses
Local support groups:
There are several options available to support each other during the isolation phase of Covid-19. The particular concern is for anyone older or with complex medical issues, but individual circumstances vary.
An organisation has set up to help connect people in order to support our neighbours and local community:
- See website for information and links to ask for help or offer to volunteer: https://www.brownswoodmutualaid.org.uk/
- Facebook page: Brownswood Hackney Covid 19 Mutual Aid
- WhatsApp group via this link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/KiS2k6xbw1b35DvQYDK3K0
- Group is being supported by Cllr Clare Potter and St John’s Church via Alice their Vicar.
- The group are collating local information about who has needs and who has the ability to support.
- There was a meeting on Zoom on 19 March (6pm) to discuss how to proceed. If you missed it you can watch the recording here (starts properly at 3mins.40sec)
- See their website for information on how to get involved, volunteer guidelines, links to charities for support etc https://www.brownswoodmutualaid.org.uk/
- Map of local support: https://hackney.gov.uk/find-support-services http://bit.ly/33yuMq7
Kings Crescent is in Zone 4 of the Brownswood Ward Covid-19 support system. If you want to volunteer to help support neighbours in the area please join this Whatsapp Group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/Du9la8EZzwt78rcosxyJWc All calls/emails are taken centrally and help requests allocated out to the relevant zone.
If you need help you can call 07958 739643 or email email@example.com
TRA committee now have a dedicated phone number 07926 568497 (phone currently held by the chair, Emley) and email address KingsCrescentN4@gmail.com.
- This can be used by any residents who do not have access to computers, social media etc.
- Emley is connected into the committee and to the various WhatsApp groups so can help connect Kings Crescent residents who are isolated with only a phone.
What to do at home:
People will be reacting differently at this time depending on their circumstances. If you are just going a bit stir-crazy looking at your walls you could use this time to learn a new skill such as a new language – we are lucky to live in an age with so much available for free online.
Call family members, arrange video calls with friends you haven’t seen in a while, and support your local community where you can (see links above). Make sure you stay in touch with other people at this time.
Some online learning/fun ideas to keep adults entertained:
- Chatterpack provide a list of online virtual museum tours, online learning, arts & culture, music etc etc
- 500 free Ivy Leaugue courses: https://www.pennlive.com/life/2020/03/500-free-ivy-league-courses-you-can-take-online-during-coronavirus-quarantine.html
- This article lists zoo tours including feeding times on live zoo cams, virtual tours of museums and theme park! https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/travel/a31784720/best-virtual-tours/
Mind has some good advice about taking care of your mental health during this time. See their website here which has advice and links to further resources: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/
If you do not have symptoms at this time you can still go out for walks in nature. This will help keep you balanced and keep your body and mind healthy. Just avoid touching surfaces as much as possible, carry alcohol hand sanitiser if you have it, don’t get too close to people you don’t live with (2 meters) and wash your hand well as soon as you get back home. If you have symptoms though please stay home.
Sport England have put together lots of advice about keeping fit at home
This girl can has a section on excersise at home. Boys welcome too!!
Yoga with Adriene has lots of free videos to do at home
Resources if you are home with kids:
We are lucky that there are lots of online education resources available free and others have made their systems free during this time to help parents who are having to switch to home educating their children.
Firstly – please remember that this is a big change for your kids as well as you. Stay calm, focus on having fun together and connecting again. Learning can come later. Eventually you can build a routine and keep the kids learning but don’t feel you have to do that straight away. This is a big adjustment for everyone, relax and enjoy snuggling up together to watch a movie!
Here are some ideas and resources for home education:
- Check with your child’s school – they may have given your child links to log on to online resources
- Lots of parents have been home educating for a long time, here are some of the resources they use: https://home-education.org.uk/resources-educational.htm
- Twinkl is offering parent and carer our school access to high-quality learning during any periods of disruption. Setting this up is really easy to do – go to www.twinkl.co.uk/offer and enter the code UKTWINKLHELPS
- Khan acadamy has been established for a long time and offers free education resources https://www.khanacademy.org/
- World Book Online have just made their collection of over 3,000 ebooks and audiobooks available for free for children to access at home. They have books suitable for all ages. Click on the following link to access them: https://worldbook.kitaboo.com/reader/worldbook/index.html?usertoken=Mjk5MzQ6MTpJUjA5MjAxNjoyOmNsaWVudDE2OTc6MTY5NzoyMjE2Mjg4OjE6MTU4NDM4MDExMzA2Mjp1cw==
- Audible has released it’s childrens books to listen for free: https://stories.audible.com/start-listen?utm_campaign=audible+stories+free+children%27s+audiobooks&utm_medium=&utm_source=linktree
- David Walliams is releasing a new audio book every day at 11am: https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/
Staying active for kids:
- Joe Wicks runs an online home PE class starting at 9am every weekday on his Body Coach YouTube channel
- This girl can website has a Disney dance along section
- Cosmic Kids YouTube channel has great Yoga, Mindfulness and relaxation videos
- Yoga for Kids with Adriene https://yogawithadriene.com/yoga-for-kids/