Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Steering Group Jan 2022

January 27, 2022 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

This is a closed meeting for those who have applied to be part of the residents steering group. It is mandatory to have attended the steering group training provided by Source Partnership. The steering group comprises of residents from both the old and new blocks and provides resident input into the next stage of new build and refurbishment of Kings Crescent.

For further information on joining the ‘Resident Steering Group’ please email john@sourcepartnership.com or carol@sourcepartnership.com


Notes of Kings Crescent Steering Group Meeting

held on 27th January 2022 via Google Meet


Those Present: Cllr. Brian Bell (BB) (Chair)

Cllr Clare Potter (CP)

4 residents:


(resident’s names removed for public version)


In Attendance: Ron Greenwood (RG)

William Owen (WO)

Carol Squires (CS)

John Morris (JM)

Menekse Saitoglu

LB Hackney

LB Hackney

Source Partnership (ITLA)

Source Partnership (ITLA)

Source Partnership (ITLA)


1.0 Introductions and apologies Action



Apologies were received from residents JWM & AA.

Kathy was welcomed to the RSG; she has recently moved [to Kings Crescent].




2.0 Notes of previous meeting held 17th November and any Matters Arising not elsewhere on the agenda  
2.1 Minutes were agreed.


BB noted that he did write to Judith Morrison, Head of Leasehold Services to ask her to organise another meeting with northside blocks leaseholders re bills etc. TRA to let him know if dates are not agreed.  



3.0 Phase 3&4 update   


 RG reported that on 10th January, 3 pieces of correspondence had gone out:

i) a letter to all residents to inform them that Durkan were the preferred bidder,

ii) letters to Durkan informing them of this and to Mulalleys informing them that they were unsuccessful; and

iii) the S20 stage 2 Notice to all southside leaseholders.


Next steps are now to finalise the contract negotiations and enter into a contract by mid March. There may be some visible signs of works starting by the end of March, e.g. bore holes to discharge planning conditions, investigate possible adverse ground conditions before foundations start. At the same time, Durkan will start to generate a Construction Management Plan.






RG presented 4 key aspects of the bid.

1.   Pre-contract works. These will take approx. 5 months, including developing detailed designs (M&E, kitchen and bathroom details), investigating soil and ground for asbestos, concrete, ordering materials – in particular the pre cast concrete panels, organising parking suspensions, party wall agreements, erecting site facilities (which will be in front of Datchworth Ct on the Queens Drive/Green Lanes side), respite facilities, dismantling the community centre, erecting hoarding, stripping out the Weston Court garages and part of the podium.

2.   Construction and phasing. The whole contract is scheduled for 140 weeks. Refurbishments will take place first, starting at Bramfield Court and working round to Theobalds, Datchworth and Weston Courts. Each block’s works will start within 3 months of each other, 10 months per block, 12 months for Weston Court. The refurbishment will be completed well in advance of the new build.

The respite centre will be situated within the estate. Durkan will explain their reasoning for this at Meet the Contractor events. (Residents  and LBH originally preferred these facilities to be sited outside the estate on Queens Drive).

EP asked for an explanation of the reference to the Weston Court podium. RG described how the podium will be cut back slightly to make space for the work space underneath, but there will still be a walkway outside front doors. EP also asked for confirmation of the location of the respite centre. RG confirmed, illustrated with a presentation slide where the facilities will be located along with a temporary ball court and storage.

RG – works will start with hoarding off areas and starting to take down garden fences and sheds in order to provide access for plant to install balconies.

PD asked if the respite centre will have computers. RG – that is the intention, based on lessons learnt from phase 1&2. He also queried removal of sheds from rear gardens. JM noted that the installation of balconies will be very disruptive but that gardens will be reinstated in full.

PD – where will the columns go that will support the balconies? There are cables etc that run up the wall that need to be preserved. WO – there will be a full inspection of the gardens and individual issues before works start. PD also has a soakaway in his rear garden that he will not want to be damaged when scaffolding is installed. RG reassured that full surveys and individual consultations will take place before works start. BB emphasised the extent of disruption to gardens.

RG continued with construction plans for the new build. This will commence within 4-6 months of start of refurbishment works and will proceed west to east, i.e. DZ4, DZ5N, DZ5S, DZ6N, DZ6W, DZ6S. 219 new homes will be built, 4 retail units, workspace, community facilities and 3 courtyards.

KM asked if the design of the public spaces had been completely worked up yet. RG replied that there will be an element of detailed design still to complete. Residents have requested a review of phase 1&2 play equipment, so a workshop will be organised to discuss details of phase 3&4 landscaping etc.

3.   Community Engagement.  Durkan are keen to follow up initial discussions with the TRA and Hackney Showroom. They have noted the need to bring the north and south sides of the estate together, to produce engaging communications in a variety of formats and to have discussions around the fit out of the new community centre. They plan a series of workshops and wish to produce a Residents Charter. There is a desire to learn from phase 1&2. They will attend RSG, TRA meetings and also organise dedicated communications meetings. One offer from them is regular site visits for residents to see first hand progress of the construction work.

4.   Training & Employment. Durkan will promote site-based roles for local residents and provide funding, to be agreed with the TRA and HS. They will have contractual apprenticeship and local labour targets.







Section 20 process.  RG reported that stage 2 consultation ends on 11th Feb. 3 households attended the surgeries on 24/1. Questions at these centred on timescales, the discount eligibility and scope of works. RG announced that, following representations from leaseholders, the decision on the 5 year discount period has now been signed off and this will now start from 1/4/22 for all southside leaseholders.

The 3rd stage of the S20 process will start once the contract is signed at which point leaseholders will receive a detailed breakdown of costs applicable to them as individuals. EP asked for confirmation that contracts will be signed by the time that the stage 3 notice goes out. RG confirmed this will be the case.

4.0 TRA update  


EP reported back. The community-focussed meeting before Christmas was combined with a Winter Market which was successful. However, the meeting itself was less well attended, leading the TRA to look at different ways of engaging with residents. An ideas sheet is up on the wall at HS rear room for people to leave comments and suggestions. The Kings Feast was split between a children’s event and an adult one. The adult event was cancelled due to the covid concerns before Christmas as was a proposed theatre outing for elders and other events throughout January. TRA and HS are planning to get things back up and running in February with the resumption of the homework club (now transitioning into a youth club) and the Friday lunch club.

BB asked about the Community Centre Working Group. WO noted that there is a meeting arranged for 4th Feb to discuss possible visits to other centres and progressing the brief for the fit out.











5.0 ITLA update  


CS reported that Source’s time recently has been spent supporting leaseholders during the S20 process and helping to facilitate surgeries/meetings. We have also spoken about the imminent decommissioning of the community centre. We plan to establish a regular time to be available at HS to raise awareness of Durkan’s emerging proposed approach to the building works and community engagement.  





6.0 Any urgent business   


KH raised the ongoing issues for northside leaseholders with EWS forms and the cladding on the blocks. BB reported that a comprehensive briefing had been provided by officers but it is confidential. His view is that the problem lies 100% with the lenders and councillors have been reassured that the other issues are relatively minor. There may be another meeting with offices on this in 2-3 weeks time.

KH emphasised that he and fellow leaseholders want the regeneration to work and that the community is brought together. But many are concerned that the blocks contain the Kingspan cladding that was present at Grenfell. If the EWS rating was compliant then there wouldn’t be a problem. There is dissatisfaction that LBH are not taking their responsibilities seriously and just laying all the blame on the lenders. BB re-emphasised his point about lenders and that the buildings were compliant when the products were installed. However, LBH do want to resolve these issues. If elements do need to be removed then a capital works programme will need to be agreed across the borough. He acknowledged that the letter that went out just before Christmas was poorly expressed.

KM added that it is important that people can work together on this and that it is sad that a problem like this threatens the good will that exists.

KH noted that many leaseholders will be stuck with existing mortgages as lenders won’t now lend on the properties and LBH cannot just step away from this.  BB denied the Council were stepping away. CP added assurances that officers are working on this as a priority and that everyone’s ‘eyes are still on the ball.’

KH – Clare Williams’ explanations at the last TRA meeting didn’t leave leaseholders satisfied. Who else can we contact? RG explained that the Resident Safety Team are the people who are dealing with this. This team is led by Mikel Jankowski. He also reminded the meeting that this is a national issue – not just a local, Hackney problem. A Building Safety Act is imminent and there is an onus on LBH to have a resident engagement strategy in place.

BB – Steve Waddington as Director of Housing is an officer further up the hierarchy if residents are not satisfied with responses to date.

KH raised the Government’s Building Safety Fund; if the view is that LBH don’t need it now, if they decide later they do, will the fund be exhausted? BB – if we’re eligible for funding, we will apply for it. CP added that this point is taken and will raise it with Michal.



















8.0 Date of next meeting  
  28th February 2022, 7.00.
Please follow and like us:


January 27, 2022
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Event Category:
Event Tags:
, , , , ,




Source Partnership
john@sourcepartnership.com; carol@sourcepartnership.com
View Organiser Website