Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

ETRA meeting April 2022

April 20 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm

This ‘Enhanced Tenants & Residents Association’ (ETRA) ‘meeting is a chance for residents to speak to Hackney representatives about issues on the estate e.g. cleaning, repairs, antisocial behaviour.

Minutes:

In Attendance:

Residents: 16  
David B (DB) TRA committee member & meeting Chair
Kathy M TRA committee member & note taker
David S Zoom host for TRA
Wael D (WD)

Karsten H (KH)

AH

EV

SH

PF

PM

CE

YM

MM

AA

HC

SB

Staff members:  
Annette Reid

Will Owen

John Morris

Andrea Scott

Guy Shackle & Angela Okoh

Gilbert Stowe (GS)

Cllr Clare Potter

Housing Officer for Kings Crescent LBH

Regeneration Team LBH

Source Partnership

BH Area Housing Manager

L B of Hackney – PAM

LBH Divisional Head of Tenant and Leasehold Services

Ward Councillor Brownswood

Apologies:

Residents: EP, AM, JWM

 
  Agenda Item Lead Actions
1 Welcome, Introductions & Apologies    
  ●       Approval of minutes from last ETRA meeting (January 2022)

No objections. Approved by David B, Kathy and Ellie.

 

Annette Reid announced this week that she is leaving her role as our Estate Officer. David thanked for all of her work on behalf of the TRA.

 

Update on Energy meters

New routers are being installed that will allow Hackney to read all meters by end of April, early May. (Insite have not had access to meter data for the past 18 months due to faulty lines). From that data they will let leaseholders know if they are owed or owe money.

Any meters found to be faulty will be replaced by the council.

New supplier from June 1. Want to have all assessed and agreed by then.

Contact Angela or Guy with concerns angela.okoh@hackney.gov.uk or heatmeters@hackney.gov.uk

Issue about overall heating charge raised (fairness of rates being charged and additional costs of maintenance on service charges) – outside remit of Angela and Guy – this is a leaseholder service charge issue.

 

Note in chat: “In the first instance once Insite have access to the data they should be able to reconcile your account by the end of May – Any further question about heat meters OR billing – do contact us via the email” If a meter is found to be faulty then it will be replaced but if not faulty then no changes needed to meter in resident’s property. So far 10-15 meters have been found to be faulty. Any refunds due will come directly from Insite to residents and will be agreed before the change of provider. Residents will be getting a welcome pack from new provider Sycous. 

Once the new lines are active then the new rate can be charged. Was supposed to be changed last April (2021), there was a reduction in rate that will be backdated, so residents should be in credit. However, all of the data needs to be analysed before any promises can be made. Letters will be sent to residents once this has been done.

 

David (TRA Chair)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Angela Okoh

angela.okoh@hackney.gov.uk or heatmeters@hackney.gov.uk

 

 
2 Bollards on the Play Street    
  Agenda points:

●       delivery trucks stranded in the play street bollards

●       engine oil leeks on the street

●       lorry drivers get their workday interrupted

●       past meeting responses given- bollards will be replaced when a good replacement is found (July 2021)

Minutes:

Lots of accidents recently. Were never fit for purpose. Lots of complaints raised about them and concerns flagged at various meetings over the past few years.

Gilbert acknowledged the issue and will work with the rest of the team to find a resolution.

 

Will: LBH looking at a longer-term solution for the bell bollards

 

David  
3 EWS1 – update from LBH – standing questions    
  Agenda points:

●       Where is the Letter of Guarantee that was promised to leaseholders?

●       Email correspondence with Hackney on the letter of guarantee – why have we only received one response to the 4/5 emails sent over the last 2/3 months?

●       Shift in focus of some – but not all – lenders away from EWS1.

●       The new fire assessment survey – update

Minutes:

Letter from Hackney to Leaseholders was promised on the call with the Mayor back in February but there has been no update since then and no letter to guarantee that Hackney will cover the costs of the remedial work to ensure fire safety. Several sales have fallen through and leaseholders still unable to sell or remortgage due to this issue.

Gilbert has seen draft of letter to be sent out in the next few days. Mayor made a commitment in the meeting but it needed to be confirmed by Cabinet. That has now happened during March which is positive news so it has been confirmed that leaseholders will not be charged for the remedial work that Hackney will do.

Hackney will not use EWS1 again (as withdrawn by the government) only PAS 9980

Hackney is procuring contractors to roll out inspection of properties and expect to appoint in the next two months. They are aware of concerns at KC which may mean the inspection happens sooner rather than later but no promises.

Gilbert suggested Hackney and the lenders may need to communicate directly and also that lenders can get in touch with his team for advice and support: gilbert.stowe@hackney.gov.uk

Also, for any leaseholders with problems arising from B2 to get in touch with him, or to contact the below email which was provided by Gilbert in a follow-up email to David  firesafety@hackney.gov.uk 

Comment from resident in the chat “I have spoken to a Fire Safety consultancy today, who suggested that they were able to conduct a Fire Risk Assessment in accordance with PAS 9880, including a EWS1, by a chartered fire engineer (MiFIRE) within two weeks. What timeline do hackney have for finding a surveyor? He also said that as leaseholders were able to conduct private assessments. is there any reason you can see that a leaseholder would not be allowed to conduct their own survey?” Gilbert responded that this is a huge project for Hackney so they legally have to go through a procurement process to appoint a contractor. He is not sure if leaseholders can have their own assessment done but will find out. 

It was noted that the detail that the lenders are looking for are not necessarily in line with what Hackney is proposing to do, timelines etc. Gilbert responded that we may need further input from resident safety on this. Perhaps lenders need to be able to contact Hackney directly for reassurance.

 

Karsten (KH), asked whether LBH was going to assess fire risk in the same way lender do? Gilbert agreed to respond to that in a followup email (6 May 2022), in which Gilbert stated: “Up until recently EWS1 surveyors would carry out a survey of the facade  but not take into consideration mitigating measures in place for example a sprinkler system, alarms or fire barriers. Also, the EWS1 surveys to date did not look into configuration of the cladding materials and how these can add (or not) to uncontrollable spread of fire. On one hand this was a result of indemnity insurance limitations for surveyors but also the process lacked a suitable risk assessment methodology. 

 

Therefore in January 2022 the government published the long awaited PAS 9980 assessment methodology which offers a more holistic approach but please note: this assessment has not replaced EWS1 valuation survey as lenders and RICS ignored government calls to abolish it.  However it does but supplement it. 

 

As of 16 March 2022 the EWS1 form has been updated and includes specific reference to the PAS 9980 fire risk assessment of the external wall. 

It now specifically asks surveyors assessing buildings particularly those who issue B ratings to ensure that assessment of the fire risk should be in accordance with the PAS 9980. 

 

Therefore, for buildings such as Kings Crescent which were initially rated B2 it may be possible under the new PAS 9980 to achieve a B1 rating or at least identify a defined scope of works which would enable B1 rating in the view of the competent assessor. Currently the EWS1 survey recommends remediating all of non compliant materials but this opinion is not based on the holistic assessment of risk and mitigating measures already in place. Our aim is to clarify this by implementing PAS 9980 assessment. 

 

It is our opinion that the result of the PAS 9980 will enable either direct route to B1 or if not immediately possible, such rating could be achieved following localised remedial works for which our leaseholders will not be charged as approved by the Councils Cabinet. We have committed to undertaking any works recommended in the PAS assessment regardless of the rating it gives. 

 

 

One of the residents, Sam, asked in the chat: What timeline do hackney have for finding a surveyor? He also said that as leaseholders were able to conduct private assessments. is there any reason you can see that a leaseholder would not be allowed to conduct their own survey?

In the followup email (6 may 2022), Gilbert stated: We are still going through the procurement process and we anticipate that it will be completed by the end of May/ early June 2022, with the assessments taking place soon after. 

If the council was approached by a surveyor commissioned by a resident(s) to do the assessment, we would want to be satisfied as to their competency to carry out the work, the level of the their professional indemnity and the methodology they would employ including the degree of intrusiveness they would employ. We also would reserve the right to disagree/challenge the conclusion of any assessment.

 

 

 

Sophie Bryson

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gilbert Stowe

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gilbert to follow up on needs of lenders vs what Hackney is proposing and committing to.

 

Gilbert to find out if residents appoint their own contractor to assess fire risk?

4 Escalations process    
  ●       escalations process LBH have in place is not appropriate

 

Complaints

Issues have been going on for more than a year, then the complain process went on for another year, yet issue still not resolved. Seems like no accountability or responsibility from Hackney for the ongoing reoccurring issues and no respect for the residents.

Gilbert apologised for unacceptable delays in dealing with complaints – he will come to every ETRA meeting

Question raised about Hackney’s legal obligation to deliver services to leaseholders and whether they deliver it. Gilbert acknowledged that Hackney is not meeting its own service standards.

Another resident shared her example or poor service and poor accountability with ongoing mould issues (in new block) for over 3 years, still unresolved.

 

Wael/

David

 

 

 

 

Gilbert to follow up with the original issues in Wael’s complaint

5 Service Change    
  ●       Wide issue with service charge is that residents do not see value for the money we pay

●       Lack of communication, organisation, and accountability with LBH towards tenants and residents

Minutes:

Residents want to be treated as customers, with honesty and respect. Some residents are now refusing to pay their service charge because they don’t feel they are getting a decent standard of service. At this point residents feel they would not recommend friends move into Hackney properties due to the ongoing issues and time-consuming process of dealing with those issues.

 

No one is holding contractors accountable, jobs not done well, and costs of repeated visits are being passed onto residents. No information about when things are getting fixed, if they have been fixed etc. Serious when it is to do with the lift and there are parents, elderly residents etc living in the blocks. Residents have to spend hours on the phone to report issues, chase up what is happening as no communication with residents. Just asking for basic safety and accountability. No more apologies and excuses, just need actions.

 

Hackney needs to address the big organisational change and culture shift. Residents have reasonable expectations but the frustrations of living here are overshadowing what should be a good experience. Hackney needs to have an expectation of excellence that it is accountable for.

 

Gilbert and senior management team do recognise that a culture shift is needed, and that process has begun. Wants the service delivered to be the best and all staff need to adopt that approach. Gilbert acknowledged that residents are just asking for Hackney’s own service standards to be met. Will be focusing on improving this across Hackney in the coming weeks and months. Want customer experience to be the best it can be. Gilbert has committed to attending all ETRA meetings as a senior presence to ensure issues are being resolved.

 

Resident noted that there is a legal obligation to comply to standards. Not just because residents ask for it but because they are legally obliged to provide the service that they are charging leaseholders for.

David  

 

 

 

 

 

Gilbert committed to attending future ETRA meetings

 

Gilbert to answer: What is Hackney’s official position on whether Hackney fulfils the 9th schedule of the leasehold agreement. If yes, what is the evidence?

6 Courtyard maintenance    
  ●       Weeds by the wall

●       slippery mould

●       black powder on the bonded rubber mulch matting in the courtyard.

Courtyards

Issue of the black paint coming off onto children from the flooring in the courtyard. Complaint over a year ago that has never been acknowledged.

 

The rubber surface in Kimpton etc block has been assessed and two solutions offered. Hackney going to try on small areas to see if it solves the issue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Will Owen

 

 

 

 

Will to update on progress with courtyard issues

7 Updates regarding action points from the last meeting David  
  Note in advance from Emley:

·        Digital skills – Jackie attended the over 60s lunch club on Friday 25th March and is in ongoing conversations with Emley and Nina regarding setting up regular digital support on Kings Crescent

  • The pharaoh ants situation is now much better in Bramfield Court following the pest control’s intervention
Annette  
8 Source Partnership    
  ·        Update from John

Phases 3 and 4:

Council had to retender for the the next phase of the regeneration project.

The preferred contractor will be appointed in May. Source has started monthly drop-in sessions to remind residents what the plans look like. Next sessions are 11 May and 8 June in Hackney Showroom.

 

Source are still running the Steering Group and supporting the TRA but role has been quiet in recent months. Will be more involved again once contractors are appointed.

 

 

John Morris  
9 Any other business

 

Andrea Scott said a new estate officer (to replace Annette) will be starting on Monday and that she would come to ETRA meetings from now on along with the new officer. Andrea also thanked Annette for all of her hard work over the years. Andrea is keen to introduce the new Estate Manager to key residents next week.

 

Andrea struck by the comments in the meeting regarding expectations of service. Agrees that residents deserve a good standard of the services they are paying for and will be working to meet this. Building a new IT system that will help and Hackney is changing its culture.

 

David  

 

David and Andrea to arrange meeting.

 

Andrea and new housing officer also commit to attending all ETRA meetings to get issues resolved.

10 Dates of next meetings/activities

●       June Street Party – June 4 @ 2pm

●       Community meeting June 2022 – June 8 @ 7pm

●       ETRA July 2022 – July 13 @ 7pm

David  

 

Previous information:

If you have something to add to the agenda please email it to KingsCrescentN4@gmail.com before 10 April 2022 as the agenda will be published 1 week in advance.

ETRA meetings happen on a quarterly basis in January, April, July & October

This meeting will be taking place on Zoom. Please email KingsCrescentN4@gmail.com for the Zoom link (prior to 4pm on 20th April, thanks).

 

Kings Crescent ETRA Meeting Agenda (updated)

20 April 2022 7:00-8:30pm 

‘Enhanced’ Tenants & Residents Association Meeting

Agenda Item Suggested

Timing

Lead
1 Welcome, Introductions & Apologies 5 mins
●       Approval of minutes from last ETRA meeting (January 2022) David (TRA Chair)
2 Bollards on the Play Street 10 mins
●       delivery trucks stranded in the play street bollards

●       engine oil leeks on the street

●       lorry drivers get their workday interrupted

●       past meeting responses given- bollards will be replaced when a good replacement is found (July 2021)

David
3 EWS1 – update from LBH – standing questions 15 mins
  ●       Where is the Letter of Guarantee that was promised to leaseholders?

●       Email correspondence with Hackney on the letter of guarantee – why have we only received one response to the 4/5 emails sent over the last 2/3 months?

●       Shift in focus of some – but not all – lenders away from EWS1.

●       The new fire assessment survey – update

Sophie Bryson

 

4 Escalations process 15 mins
  ●       escalations process LBH have in place is not appropriate Wael/David
5 Service Change 12.5 mins
  ●       Wide issue with service charge is that residents do not see value for the money we pay

●       Lack of communication, organisation, and accountability with LBH towards tenants and residents

David
6 Courtyard maintenance 12.5 mins
  ●       Weeds by the wall

●       slippery mould

●       black powder on the bonded rubber mulch matting in the courtyard.

Ashley McFarlane
7 Updates from me regarding action points from the last meeting 7.5 mins David
 
  • Digital skills – Jackie attended the over 60s lunch club on Friday 25th March and is in ongoing conversations with Emley and Nina regarding setting up regular digital support on Kings Crescent
  • The pharaoh ants situation is now much better in Bramfield Court following the pest control’s intervention
Annette
8 Source Partnership 7.5 mins
  ·        Update from John John
9 Any other business 2.5 mins David
10 Dates of next meetings/activities

●       June Street Party – June 4 @ 2pm

●       Community meeting June 2022 – June 8 @ 7pm

●       ETRA July 2022 – July 13 @ 7pm

2.5 mins David
Please follow and like us:

Details

Date:
April 20
Time:
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Event Category:
Event Tags:
,

Venue

Hackney Showroom Space
4 Murrain Road
London, N4 2BN United Kingdom
+ Google Map